Sony Xperia 10 Plus
Sony released two interesting mid-range smartphones in the Xperia 10 and 10 Plus. The two both comes with Sony’s new 21:9 display experience which constitutes the tall signature look of these two. I somehow fee this 21:9 display is a display Sony looks to embrace with all or most of their upcoming smartphones since we already see it on Sony Xperia 1- a flagship smartphone. It is a display aspect ratio that only Sony has implemented. I shall speak more of it in the review. First let is take a quick look at the features of the Xperia 10 Plus.
Features of Sony Xperia 10 Plus
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- GSM, HSPA and LTE network technology
- 6.5 inches, 98.7 cm2 (~81.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 1080 x 2520 pixels (~422 ppi density)
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 (14 nm) chipset
- Octa-core 1.8 GHz Kryo 260 CPU
- Adreno 509 CPU
- 64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 6 GB (for China only)
- microSD, up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Primary camera: 12 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 1.25µm, PDAF
8 MP, f/2.4, 53mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 1.12µm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- LED flash, HDR, panorama
- [email protected], [email protected] video recording
- Selfie camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- [email protected] video recording
- 3.5mm jack, 24-bit/192kHz audio, Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- FM Radio
- USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; USB Host
- Fingerprint (side-mounted)
- Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery
- Fast battery charging 18W (Quick Charge 3.0)
- -USB Power Delivery
- Colors: Black, Navy, Silver, Gold
Design and build
Sony Xperia 10 Plus is designed to stand tall and stand out- this I mean figuratively and literally too. It has an all metal build with a glass front (corning gorilla glass 5). Bezels are present on the forehead and chin although the top one is thicker than the chin since it has the selfie camera, call speaker and sensors. And also, because it is (or was) the year 2019 we are not very interested in thick accounted for bezels on smartphones. The volume rocker buttons are below the fingerprint scanner which is between them and the power button.
There is a feature here called Side Sense that enables a one-handed use mode when you pressure tap the LHD of Xperia 10 Plus. It is a handy feature considering the height of this phone- something some will appreciate, others like me won’t use much. Regardless, it is great to know it is present.
The back has a dual camera setup (horizontal orientation and at the middle top) with an LED flash on top of it. Sony and Xperia branding you shall also see on the back.
Now the display of the Xperia 10 Plus its main attraction. Why? Because it is tall and has an aspect ratio only Sony implements at 21:9. With it you see more of the content of your display also considering it is a 5.5 inches display, not a small phone is it? So maybe that Side Sense feature may come in play more frequently than we may imagine. I love this display mostly for web surfing and reading long articles or just books since it makes one scroll less and less. It is also a wide display when rotated so gaming and movie watching for example may also be fun.
With 1080 x 2520 pixels (~422 ppi density) resolution on an IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen you get a good display with wide viewing angles and good outdoor visibility.
SONY hasn’t left anything to chance with the Xperia 10 Plus. It is an all-round smartphone and its camera performance confirms this. “The Xperia 10 Plus’s 12MP camera lets you take stunning photos in any situation, including in 21:9 and other aspect ratios. While the 8MP camera helps you achieve beautiful background blurring, known as ‘Bokeh’, and get close up to your subject with 2x optical zoom.” SONY.
Video recording is 4K and 1080p for the primary camera and selfie camera respectively. Speaking of its selfie camera, it is an impressive 8 MP, f/2.0 lens as you shall learn.
Performance and memory
Most apps on this smartphone are by Google, except for the camera app. It is powered by Android 9.0 (Pie)- close to stock so updates shouldn’t be delayed here.
It is powered also by a Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 (14 nm) chipset, Octa-core 1.8 GHz Kryo 260 CPU and an Adreno 509 CPU.
There is a 64 GB internal storage Xperia 10 Plus with 4 GB RAM or 6 GB. This can still be expanded using a microSD up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot).
Enjoy interacting with Sony Xperia 10 Plus knowing its non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery got your back.
When we speak of strong mid-range smartphones, minds will always remember the Xperia 10 Plus simply because it is just that- a strong mid-range smartphone. It is very much available at Phone Place Kenya and in color Black, Navy, Silver and Gold.