This is the review of Huawei P30, a base flagship smartphone that had two other models released alongside it in the P30 lite and P30 Pro. Its key features are on the Camera performance hence the slogan Rewrite Rules of Photography with Huawei P30. It is quite similar to the P30 Pro except for a few physical attributes which can be used to tell the two apart. Like the TOF 3D camera on the Pro this one does not have, the Pro has larger display, and also the curved edge display we see on the Pro isn’t implemented here. That’s how you can tell the two apart. Huawei P30 as I have already mentioned is a high-end device and that aims to make a statement in phone photography as we shall discuss later on in this review. First, we take a look at a list of its features then late on dive on to an in-depth review.
Features of Huawei P30
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- GSM, HSPA and LTE network technology
- IP53 dust and splash protection
- 6.1 inches, 91.3 cm2 (~85.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~422 ppi density)
- HDR10, DCI-P3
- HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm) chipset
- Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU
- Mali-G76 MP10 GPU
- Android 9.0 (Pie); EMUI 9.1
- 64/128/256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 128 GB, 6 GB RAM
- NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses SIM 2)
- Primary camera:
- 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF/Laser AF
16 MP, f/2.2, 17mm (ultrawide), PDAF/Laser AF
8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 3x optical zoom, PDAF/Laser AF, OIS
- Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR
- [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (gyro-EIS), [email protected] video recording
- Front facing camera:
- 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- HDR, [email protected] video recording
- 3.5mm, 32-bit/384kHz audio, active noise cancellation with dedicated mic, Dolby Atmos sound
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Fingerprint (under display)
- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Non-removable Li-Po 3650 mAh battery
- -Fast battery charging 22.5W
- Colors: Aurora, Amber Sunrise, Breathing Crystal, Black, Pearl White
It should be obvious that Huawei P30 is the successor of Huawei P20. I mean seriously. Check it out at Phone Place Kenya.
Design and build
Huawei P30 is a work of Art. And art as we know it is many things to many people. But respect is paid to craftsmanship and beauty here. The front has a waterdrop notch, some call it dewdrop other Infinity V. Huawei calls it all a Dewdrop Display3 which they have designed to give a boarder and better viewing experience. Facing you also is its 6.1-inch panel with almost a slim black bezel around it. I love the inspiration behind the color options of Huawei P30 which it makes use of by transfixing color and light of space to achieve the miraculous sky’s beauty. And this can only be achieved on a glass back panel of course. You see three cameras on the back with Huawei branding down below, all in vertical orientation. Now in case you are wondering, there is no fingerprint scanner on the back or the side because with P30, the fingerprint scanner is under the display and it makes use of optical technology to achieve this. It is a beauty, this phone.
I should have mentioned that under the display fingerprint scanner here. I then can only add to it by reporting that it is quick to scan and unlocks swiftly. Nonetheless, the display here is an OLED capacitive touchscreen. It has 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~422 ppi density) resolution and is HDR10, DCI-P3 compliant. HDR10 was mostly used on Xperia smartphones by Sony and it made displays on their smartphone very attractive to look at. Now if that were the case a few years back (it still is), and considering how fast technology improves by the day- how better looking then is the display on the Huawei P30? Simple logic I assume. Images, colors and brightness have been well worked out here to produce an impressive phone monitor. Viewing angles are great on it as well.
Since the camera department is the key selling point of Huawei P30, I may as well quote Huawei just so I do not miss any important detail here. But let’s see. It has a super camera system with a whooping 40MP super sensing camera, a 16MP ultra-wide-angle lens and an 8MP telephoto lens which is a specific type of a long-focus lens. These three eyes help you capture the treasure and the beauty of the world. Video recording is 4K that should actually go without say. But video stabilization is available from [email protected] going down.
Then there is its 32MP front facing wide camera lens. Boy, 32MP is not some random or regular pixel count in a front facing camera. With it, expect magic.
Performance and memory
Guess what, platform performance on Huawei P30 matches that on the Pro, eye for eye tooth for tooth. With its HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm) chipset, an Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU and Mali-G76 MP10 GPU you get high-end performance on an Android 9.0 (Pie); EMUI 9.1 smartphone. HiSilicon Kirin chipsets are Huawei’s very own. And over the years they have been worthy competitors with Snapdragon, in some cases outdoing Snapdragon’s.
You get top notch platform performance on Huawei P30 that you can trust.
Internal storage and memory
Choose a 64/128/256 GB with 8 GB RAM or 128 GB with 6 GB RAM. All versions have support for internal storage expansion via NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses SIM 2).
Sealed within is its non-removable Li-Po 3650 mAh battery. It would have been nice to have wireless charging on Huawei P30 since it has a glass back. Instead we only et fast battery charging 22.5W which is also okay.
Huawei P30 is available in all its glory in color Aurora, Amber Sunrise, Breathing Crystal, Black or Pearl White. Buy yours today.
Be the first to review “Huawei P30”