Sony Xperia XZ3
Writing about this flagship smartphone is one of the toughest tasks I have taken on in 2018. The Sony Xperia XZ3 is Sony’s idea of a reimagined smartphone. It is absolutely nothing like any other Sony smartphone we have seen in previous years, not even since the inception of Sony Mobile. It is a standalone smartphone, a new beginning, a completely unseen and unheard of Sony Xperia device in many ways as we shall learn in this article. Below is a comprehensive list of the key features of Sony Xperia XZ3. I feel it is an insult referring to this smartphone without including the pre prefix “the.” It surely is the Sony Xperia XZ3.
- Available. Released 2018, October
- GSM, HSPA and LTE network technology- 2G, 3G and 4G
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5) & aluminum frame
- IP65/IP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- P-OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 6.0 inches, 92.9 cm2 (~80.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- 1440 x 2880 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~537 ppi density) resolution
- Multi touch Yes, up to 10 fingers
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- – HDR BT.2020 compliant
– Triluminos display
– X-Reality Engine
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10 nm) chipset
- Octa-core (4×2.7 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) CPU
- Adreno 630 GPU
- 64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 64 GB, 6 GB RAM (Taiwan only)
- microSD, up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot) – dual SIM model only
- Primary camera 19 MP, f/2.0, 25mm (wide), 1/2.3″, 1.22µm, predictive PDAF & laser AF
- -Video recording [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (5-axis gyro-EIS), [email protected], HDR
- Selfie camera 13 MP, f/1.9, 23mm (wide), 1/3″, 1.12µm
- -Video recording [email protected] (5-axis gyro-EIS)
- Sound: – 24-bit/192kHz audio
– Dynamic vibration system
– Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; USB Host
- Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, color spectrum
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3300 mAh battery
- – Fast battery charging (Power Delivery)
– Qi wireless charging
- Available in colors Black, Silver White, Forest Green and Bordeaux Red
Design and build
Now we all know what to expect when it comes to this department of any Xperia smartphone. A boxy design with sharp edges and thick top and bottom bezels. That is what every Sony smartphone looks like. But not so fast. You know what they say about change? It is inevitable. One day, one time it will catch up and it has. The Sony Xperia XZ3 looks nothing like that. Believe this or not, and for the first time ever we see a Sony smartphone with curved edges.
The back is made of glass (Corning Gorilla) which as a result makes this phone support wireless charging. Still on the back we see a single camera right above the awkwardly placed rear mounted fingerprint scanner. I say awkward because it sure is going to take some getting used to, to know where exactly it is. At first you will be reaching for the camera imagining it is it. Anyway that aside, we also see the LED flash and EIS dots above the camera. Down below is XPERIA branding.
The front part of this phone has an interesting feature, a 6.0 inches curved glass design. I mean this is the first Xperia smartphone to rock a curved display. Interesting. Also, the top and bottom bezels are slim with SONY branding on the bottom one while the top houses a front facing speaker. The left side of this phone (frames made of aluminum metal) has the volume rocker, power button and a Xperia’s very own dedicated camera button. This build allows for IP65/IP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins) feature. It has these dimensions this phone 158 x 73 x 9.9 mm and is a heavy baby weighing about 193 grams. A beautiful beast this is, a treasure to look at.
Display and camera
I cannot speak highly enough of the display you will get on this phone after learning that it comes with a P-OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors. It is a 6.0 inches, 92.9 cm2 (~80.5% screen-to-body ratio) display with 1440 x 2880 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~537 ppi density) resolution. Did I already mention that it is a curved display? I bet I did. One of a kind display, and the only one you will find in the market. There has been no display on any phone before the Xperia XZ3 as good as the one you get on it. And that I say again, never.
This is one display that puts on a show. “Experience Sony’s BRAVIA® TV technology in your hand with the Xperia XZ3’s OLED display that pushes the high-contrast, color and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR) even further. Stay fully immersed with the QHD+ (1440 x 2880 pixels) display resolution paired with Sony´s Dynamic Vibration System and powerful stereo speakers,” Sony. What more can I say? Brilliant! Just brilliant!
Unlike recent smartphones, Sony only included one camera one the back and one of the front of this phone. The one on the back is the main camera and it is the 19 MP, f/2.0 wide lens that shoots 4K videos ([email protected]) in HDR (preference setting). The other is the front facing 13 MP that can also shoot in HDR but at [email protected] There is no Optical Image stabilization here but EIS is on deck. With both you get impressive camera performance and professional video shoots as well.
And knowing how good the display of this phone is, you can only guess how clear your photos and video will turn out to be. There is this cool feature that opens the camera when you take it out of your pocket and aim in a manner suggesting you want to take a photo. Well, this is just but one of them all. I thought I should mention this. It is a cool feature which with you cannot miss a moment.
Performance and memory
The Sony Xperia XZ3 runs Android 9.0 (Pie). It comes with a Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10 nm) chipset an Octa-core (4×2.7 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) CPU and an Adreno 630 GPU. These are top draw specifications on a high end flagship smartphone, just the way it is supposed to be.
There are two versions of this model with respect to memory. 64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 64 GB, 6 GB RAM (Taiwan only). Either support memory expansion using microSD, up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot) – dual SIM model only.
Non-removable Li-Ion 3300 mAh battery
– Fast battery charging (Power Delivery)
– Qi wireless charging
This one should last you a whole day of usage. It has an endurance rating of 90 hours.
Check out Sony Xperia XZ3 official website HERE. It comes with a choice of colors Black, Silver White, Forest Green or Bordeaux Red. Rock it your way.
For more Sony Xperia smartphones visit here