Huawei P30 Pro
Huawei P30 Pro There it is, I have revealed to you how the name was come up with. This flagship smartphone by Huawei is more of a Professional camera that ha smartphone features. I don’t know how to put it, but I trust the point is home. Here is a word of advice, this is a phone you buy because you love photography. And in the event, you do not, it will still serve you right- as it should only that you will have done it great injustice. Maybe buy it for a photo fanatic friend of yours, they will forever be grateful that is word you can trust.
This is my review of Huawei P30 Pro, a flagship smartphone by Huawei.
Features of Huawei P30 Pro
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- GSM, HSPA, LTE network technology
- Front/back glass, aluminum frame
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 2m for 30 mins)
- 6.47 inches, 102.8 cm2 (~88.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~398 ppi density)
- HDR10, DCI-P3
- Android 9.0 (Pie); EMUI 9.1
- HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm) chipset
- Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU
- Mali-G76 MP10 GPU
- 128/256/512 GB, 8 GB RAM or 128 GB, 6 GB RAM
- NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses SIM 2)
- Primary camera: 40 MP, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF, OIS
20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.7″, PDAF
Periscope 8 MP, f/3.4, 125mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 5x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF
TOF 3D camera
- Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR
- [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (gyro-EIS), [email protected] video recording
- Selfie camera: 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- [email protected] video recording
- 32-bit/384kHz audio, Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic, Dolby Atmos sound
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC, Infrared port
- USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Fingerprint (under display)
- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Non-removable Li-Po 4200 mAh battery
- Fast battery charging 40W (70% in 30 min)
- Fast wireless charging 15W
- Power bank/Reverse wireless charging
- Colors: Aurora, Amber Sunrise, Breathing Crystal, Black, Pearl White
Design and build
It is almost as if the edges of Huawei P30 from are curved towards the back from the front and vice versa to give a slim and smooth transition of the edge. It also makes this phone have a slightly curved edge display. As a result, it has a slim feel in the hand making it feel compact and comfortable to hold. It has a designed aimed to attract and impress and both it does expertly. The back is made of glass (which makes possible wireless charging) and so is the front whereas its frames are of aluminum build. I love the dew drop punch on the face of the display since it does not intrude the estate affecting viewer experience. You’ll see a triple camera setup on the back in vertical orientation and dragged to the top right corner. To its left and LED flash on top of a TOF 3D camera.
This is a water and dust resistant smartphone, all gratitude to the build. The looks of it are striking that I can repeat over and over again and the choice of available colors was also well thought of. Get it in Aurora, Amber Sunrise, Breathing Crystal, Black or Pearl White.
In case you are wondering, there is no fingerprint scanner on the back or the side because with P30 Pro, the fingerprint scanner is under the display and it makes use of optical technology to achieve this.
Yes, so as I tried to describe earlier Huawei’s curved display is not an illusion- it actually is a thing. And what you will see is a double 3D curved glass body with a 6.47-inch OLED display panel of great viewing angles and stunning colors. OLED technology is gaining favor of smartphone companies that did wished for AMOLED panels yet only had the means to implement IPD or HD panels at most. Huawei being one of them. And this tech they have embraced works quite well for their recent releases.
The display here has a 1080 x 2340 pixels resolution with a 19.5:9 ratio and (~398 ppi density). It also is a HDR10 compliant, DCI-P3 panel.
What fascinates me the most about the camera performance of Huawei P30 Pro is its Night Mode camera performance. I mean it literally ‘sees’ objects in the dark that naked eye cannot and takes perfect images of them. This is the best camera smartphone in the world (in my opinion and as at time of this review) for low light photography.
Present also is its impressive zoom feature that allows up to 5x zoom until minor detail may begin to slightly disappear. Now most smartphones would only manage 2x zoom so we should all understand what message I am trying to pass here. About this feature Huawei says it brings you closer to the things you love.
Huawei P30 Pro truly is a pioneer in phone photography. I mean its camera performance is mind blowing take care of your mind. And have I mentioned that it has a 32MP (wide) selfie camera? Yes! That’s 32MP whereas the main camera is a 40MP lens. I do not want to spoil anything with many words here but here is what I can say, I am yet to meet a smartphone with so much camera performance dedicated to it more than I have seen on the Huawei P30 Pro. It surely does handle its photography professionally. Video recording is 4K for the main camera and 1080p for the front facing camera.
Performance and memory
Expect an Android 9.0 (Pie); EMUI 9.1 smartphone with a HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm) chipset an Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU and a Mali-G76 MP10 GPU.
Internal storage is 128/256/512 GB all with 8 GB RAM or 128 GB with 6 GB RAM. I really do not want to suggest which one you should go for because all these options have large internal storage so for this it you will have to decide on your own. Whichever way all of them have support for internal storage expansion via NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses SIM 2).
Let this sink in: Huawei P30 Pro comes with a non-removable Li-Po 4200 mAh battery. A capacity large enough it can be used to charge other devices via reverse wireless charging.
Of course, quick battery charging for USB and wireless are supported.
I have to be totally honest about one thing though, Huawei P30 Pro is not a regular mediocre smartphone. It is Huawei’s first baby of the year of smartphones 2019- a flagship and a pioneer in steering ahead mobile photography in revolutionary fashion. For it you will have to part with quite an amount which will be worth the risk/investment/gift or what you consider yours phone to be. I still very strongly recommend it to first them who are crazy about photography, then to those who can actually afford it. If you fall in either category I suggest you buy yours today.