Huawei Mate 30 Pro
Redefine smartphones with Huawei’s flagship the Mate 30 Pro. However best we can attempt to describe this phone somewhere along the way we somehow run out of words. But we must get the basics out of the way. First, this is the pro version of Huawei Mate 30, the base model of the two. It is also available in a 5G model (this review is for the LTE model).
Huawei has been on the spotlight for the better part of mid-2019. But the giant tech company, somehow, one way or the other and until the time this phone was released stood the test and trial. I confidently say this because amidst the Google battle, we see Mate 30 Pro running Android OS after all. In this review we will attempt to describe this phone in simplest of words. We hope you will enjoy the study trip, which will in the end turn out for your benefit. Below you will find a list of its key features and afterwards a review.
Main features of Huawei Mate 30 Pro
- GSM, HSPA and LTE network technology
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 2m for 30 mins)
- OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 6.53 inches, 108.7 cm2 (~94.1% screen-to-body ratio)
- 1176 x 2400 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio (~409 ppi density) resolution
- Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- – DCI-P3
- – HDR10
- Android 10; EMUI 10
- HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+) chipset
- Octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.09 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.86 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU
- Mali-G76 MP16 GPU
- 256GB 8GB RAM, UFS3.0
- NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Primary camera 40MP + 8MP + 40MP + 3D TOF camera
- Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR
- [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Selfie camera 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide) + 3D TOF camera
- HDR, panorama
- [email protected] video recording
- Loudspeaker with stereo speakers
- – 32-bit/384kHz audio
- – Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC, Infrared port
- 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Face ID, fingerprint (under display, optical)
- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass
- Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- – Fast battery charging 40W
- – Fast wireless charging 27W
- Power bank/Reverse wireless charging
- Colors Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple, Emerald Green
Design and build
How long have you waited to see a bezel-less smartphone? Haven’t many attempted and failed? How many smartphone companies have but only prototypes? Whatever your answers for these questions, do not include Huawei Mate 30 Pro in the above-named statistics. The selling point and reason for bragging of Huawei Mate 30 Pro is its display.
And I will tell you more about in in the section that follows. What I must tell you here is that it is a curved display, overlapping and all fluid (it is made of glass just incase anyone misses the comparison). What a display this it. And it is graced with a notch. So, there are no side bezels here but a very slim chin at the bottom of its 6.53-inch display panel.
On the back it resembles its base model the Mate 30 with four camera lenses in a square orientation and within a circular boarder. You will also see Huawei’s branding and Leica inscriptions on to the right of the cameras. Huawei Mate 30 Pro is co-engineered with Leica. You need not wonder where the fingerprint scanner is: it is under the display.
Display and camera
Allow me not to go over the curved display and all once more. Rather let me tell you what more it has to offer besides of course its full sides view. It is an OLED capacitive touchscreen of 1176 x 2400 pixels resolution. This 6.53-inch panel occupies a 108.7 cm2 area and has a 94.1% screen-to-body ratio. Let these numbers speak for themselves.
I wouldn’t want to add or otherwise attempt to speak too highly if it and in the long run not praise it as I ought to. It has a 409 ppi density and is Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protected. This is a DCI-P3 and HDR10 compliant display panel. Viewing angles are acute (surely now this must be the case) and outdoor visibility is with indoor clarity.
Let us count these cameras, together shall we? Alone I will lose count. The first is a 40 MP, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF, OIS. And this is the main camera. The second an 8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom. The third a 40 MP, f/1.8, 18mm (ultrawide), 1/1.54″, PDAF and the fourth a 3D TOF camera. These three are on the back and constitute the main cameras. Facing you is this phone’s impressive 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide) and a 3D TOF camera.
I will tell you what else must impress you with the front facing camera, apart from its selfies, the Face ID feature which allows you to unlock your phone without passwords or pins or print scans. Simply pick up your phone, let it scan your face and that is it- you are good to go. This is not a new feature alright, but it is cool- especially when it is as fast and accurate as on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro. Video recording is 4K. That is, [email protected] and as already pointed there is Optical Image stabilization on board.
Platform and performance
A top notch HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+) chipset, an octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.09 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.86 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU and a Mali-G76 MP16 GPU. These three ensure efficiency, processing prowess and superb graphics. Whatever you throw at Huawei Mate 30 Pro, it will handle with speed and ease.
Storage and memory
Choose between a 256GB with 8GB RAM Mate 30 Pro
Either can have internal storage expanded using NM (Nano Memory) up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot).
Get up to a whole day of mixed usage on Huawei Mate 30 Pro until next charge with its non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery.
For More Huawei Phones in Kenya visit here